Greenville, SC Trucking Accident Lawyer
We share the Greenville, South Carolina roads with semi-trucks every day and most of us don’t give them a second thought. That is until you or a loved one is involved in an accident with one of the giants of the road.
Being involved in an accident with a semi-truck can be devastating, and the injuries that result from such an accident can be catastrophic, if not deadly. Many times 18 wheeler accidents are difficult to avoid, especially if the truck driver is being careless or reckless.
If you or a loved one has had a tractor-trailer accident with an 18-wheeler, and it was someone else’s fault, Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident lawyer, Dan Pruitt is here to help you or your loved one receive all the compensation they deserve.
Common Causes of Greenville, SC Trucking Accidents
The cause of a Greenville 18 wheeler accident can vary greatly. However, it’s important for your claim that you determine the cause of the accident and who was at fault. If you’re not exactly sure what happened, Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident attorney, Dan Pruitt and his team will investigate the accident, find the cause, and determine who was at fault for your injuries.
Some of the most common causes of Greenville tractor trailer accidents include, but aren’t limited to:
1. Driver Fatigue: Recent studies have shown that driving while tired may be as dangerous as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. A tired driver may fail to use turn signals, not check blind spots when turning, and/or failing to stop at lights or stop signs.
2. Poorly maintained the truck: Not all trucks are maintained properly, and a poorly maintained truck could suffer brake failure or other mechanical problems that inhibit the driver from operating the vehicle safely.
3. Not enough truck driver training: Because the demand for truck drivers is high, sometimes the drivers that are hired are not properly trained or don’t have enough training to know how to operate their vehicle safely.
4. Driving under the influence: We all know that driving while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol is dangerous, that danger is compounded if that driver is behind the wheel of a semi-truck.
5. Hazardous roads: In some cases, road hazards such as potholes may cause a Greenville 18 wheeler accident. The South Carolina road authority has a duty to ensure driver’s safety when they or a local road authority fails to maintain the roads, and you’re injured, you may be able to seek compensation.
6. Defective truck parts: If a manufacturer doesn’t ensure their products are safe, it can be dangerous. If a part malfunctioned and/or broke that caused a truck accident in Greenville, South Carolina, you may be able to hold the manufacturer of those parts accountable and seek compensation for your injuries.
Fault in Greenville, SC Trucking Accidents
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Greenville tractor trailer accident, you’re going to want to know who was at fault for the accident when preparing your claim to file with the insurance company.
It’s not as simple as simply saying the truck driver was at fault, because while the driver of the semi-truck may be at fault in your Greenville truck accident, they may not be the only party that can be held responsible for your injuries.
In many cases, the truck driver works for an employer. That employer may also have to bear some of the responsibility for what happened to you or your loved one. However, if the Greenville truck driver was involved in illegal or reckless behavior, such as driving while under the influence, it may not be as easy to get any financial compensation from their employer.
Your Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident lawyer will assist you in determining who is responsible for your injuries and what action may be taken.
Greenville, SC Trucking Accident Insurance
In South Carolina, typically, the person who is at fault in an accident is the one who is held responsible for the costs associated with your injuries. When you are asking for financial compensation, normally you will be dealing with the insurance companies who will generally offer you a settlement amount.
After being involved in a Greenville, South Carolina truck accident, you will contact the insurance company and report the accident. Do not mention anything regarding who was at fault or provide a recorded statement. Anything you say can and will be used against you when the insurance company offers to settle your claim.
Once the Greenville truck accident has been reported, the insurance company may assign an adjuster to your case. They will want to know the cause of the accident, the injuries you or a loved one suffered, and the total costs of your accident. Once they have that information, they should offer you a settlement amount.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t always happen that way. The insurance company may attempt to use certain tactics to avoid paying you the amount of money you deserve. Insurance companies are not on your side, they are trying to protect their profits. If you’re not sure you’re being offered a fair settlement for your Greenville 18 wheeler accident, you should contact a Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident lawyer such as Dan Pruitt to represent you. He will work hard to ensure you’re getting the settlement amount you deserve or file a lawsuit on your behalf in court.
Compensation Following a Greenville, SC Trucking Accident
In a Greenville, South Carolina truck accident lawsuit, economic damages are always meant to compensate the victim for out-of-pocket expenses as a result of their injury.
These damages may include:
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity and/or future employment
- Present and future medical expenses that are a result of the injury in the accident
- Loss of Property
- Costs for repairs to any property damaged in the accident.
- Physical pain
- Mental suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium for the spouse
Call a Greenville, SC Trucking Accident Today
A semi-truck accident can be more dangerous and traumatic than being involved in an accident with another car. When a truck driver causes the collision, you should contact Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident lawyer, Dan Pruitt Law Firm. Dan and his legal team will work hard to ensure you receive all the compensation you’re entitled to.