What Can I Do When My Mother is Mistreated in a Greenville Nursing Home?

Posted on

The decision to put a loved one in a nursing home is often difficult and heartbreaking. No one wants to take their parent or grandparent out of the comfort of their own home, but sometimes it is in their best interest. Nursing homes have staff that has the training to give your loved one the care they need when they become unable to take care of themselves and their homes. However, not all Greenville, South Carolina nursing home employees perform job duties in an appropriate manner. If you have a loved one that you believe is receiving poor care while in a nursing home, you and your family should consult an attorney that works on nursing home abuse cases.

It can be painful to learn that those that make their living caring for the elderly do not always use the consideration and care they should when assisting clients. If you suspect your family member is not receiving the proper care or is suffering abuse at the hands of a nursing home staff member, you need to do everything you can to protect the health of your family member. A nursing home attorney will be able to point you in the right direction of the steps you need to take to protect your loved one.

How are Greenville, South Carolina Nursing Homes Held Responsible for Injuries?

Nursing Home Abuse Neglect Lawyer Greenville South Carolina
Is your loved one suffering from nursing home abuse? Contact Dan Pruitt Injury Law Firm today.

There can be numerous factors that lead to abuse and poor care of nursing home patients. Many facilities have insufficient staffing, have employees that receive little to no training, or have workers on their staff with a history of abuse and violence. Some nursing home residents are afraid to report any abuse they experience because they are embarrassed or scared they will face retaliation. A nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina or any other area of the state can be liable for injuries patients receive while in their care.

In order to determine if there is abuse or misconduct taking place at a nursing home, one of the following may take place:

  1. Adult Protective Services Investigation – The agency can come into the facility to assess if there is negligence, abuse, or neglect of elderly patients taking place. This type of investigation brings immediate aid and assistance to patients and keeps them from any further hurt or injuries by any other staff members.
  2. A Legal Proceeding – A civil lawsuit to request damages. The civil action will allow for damages to compensate for injuries to the patients.
  3. A Criminal Investigation and Prosecution – Local authorities can come in and investigate and prosecute the abuse of patients by the neglectful conduct of staff. A criminal prosecution will punish the hurtful behavior.

A civil action against a Greenville, South Carolina, nursing home is a serious matter. Prior to making a decision to seek legal action against the facility an elderly family member is residing in, you should consult with an attorney to discuss your options. A lawyer will also be able to help you find a suitable replacement home for the resident while the case is under investigation. An attorney will fight to protect the rights of your loved one to make sure they receive the proper care they deserve.

Nursing homes need to be exercise time when they interview and hire staff members, and provide employees with the appropriate training to provide adequate care for nursing home residents. Facilities are responsible for providing quality care for patients and should put a great deal of time and effort into making sure the equipment used in their facility receives the correct maintenance for its upkeep. Any staff members also need to receive the correct training to give the care residents need there has to be enough staff on duty, so there are no shortcuts in performing patient care.

How Can an Attorney Help My Greenville Nursing Home Case?

If your loved one is suffering from abuse or neglect in a nursing home, an attorney can help you prove the facility failed in the duty to provide proper treatments and practices. A lawyer will be able to assist you in getting expert witnesses and documentation to back up your claims of abuse or neglect. An attorney will work for you to help you gather the information necessary to prove your case. Hire an attorney to perform the research on license requirements, care standards, and any other policies and procedures applicable to Greenville, South Carolina.

An attorney will be able to help you prepare an adequate defense and review the contracts from the nursing home to see if there has been a breach of conduct in caring for your family member. A lawyer will be able to make sure you file the appropriate paperwork and handle the confusing legal system so you can focus on getting your loved one the care and treatment they deserve. An elderly nursing home resident needs someone on their side to fight for their rights and protect their well-being. An attorney will work hard to make sure they receive appropriate care according to state standards.

Contact the Dan Pruitt Injury Law Firm for Assistance with Your Greenville Nursing Home Case

If your loved one suffers abuse or neglect in a nursing home, contact us for assistance in getting them the help and care they deserve. We care about our clients and want them to receive the best treatment possible. Our attorneys will use our knowledge to investigate all aspects of the abuse and neglect and determine the root cause of the issue. Let us work to get justice for your family and get the compensation necessary to get your elderly family member the care needed.

Call our office today so we can discuss the specifics of your case and get to work immediately. We will make sure your elderly family member is our top priority. We are here to help in every possible way. Contact us to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.

Dan Pruitt Logo

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.