There is no question that truck drivers need specialized training to handle significantly dangerous conditions and protect themselves and others on the road. Without this training, inexperienced truckers are outright dangerous on the road and can cause serious truck accidents.
Inexperienced Drivers Are Often More Dangerous
Some of the dangerous activities that an inexperienced truck driver can engage in include:
- Driving off the road
- Driving too fast for the weather conditions
- Changing lanes too quickly, which can cause the truck to flip
- Improper braking, which can lead to sliding
- Stopping too late
- Failing to slow down
- Engaging in drowsy driving
- Violating hours of service regulations
- Making poor turns
Who Is Responsible in the Event of an Accident?
When it comes to accidents caused by truck drivers, not only can the driver be held responsible, but also the trucking company, which is responsible for hiring competent drivers. While a driver is on duty, the trucking company is their agent and is therefore responsible for the consequences of their actions. They must not only ensure that the drivers have the right training, but they have their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
When it comes to ensuring that a truck company has done its due diligence in terms of requirements, it is important for you and your trucking accident attorney to know the following:
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has established rules regarding training standards for entry-level commercial truck drivers
- CDL requirements are determined by state law
- Truck drivers must pass a number of tests proving that they are medically capable of driving a large truck and have had a clean driving record for at least 10 years
- The skills test includes controls, inspections, and the road test
If You Have Been in a Truck Accident
If you have a truck accident, the first thing to do is ensure that any injuries you have been treated. You should also contact truck accident attorney so that a proper investigation is done on your behalf and so that the truck company–which has a number of resources and a strong legal team–does not destroy any evidence that could rule in your favor. If a lack of proper training was involved, this will help you to prove negligence and obtain compensation for your injuries, as well as any pain and suffering involved.
Our Greenville, South Carolina trucking accident lawyers are prepared to help you and your family if you have been involved in an accident with a truck. Contact our lawyers today to find out more.
Dan Pruitt is a Personal Injury Attorney who practices in Greenville, SC. He graduated from University of Georgia, and has been practicing law for 25 years. Dan Pruitt believes in fighting for the injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.